Tuesday, January 15, 2008

3 Questions

1) To engage the question: How does humanity’s collective striving towards immortality and outer space impact an individual’s choices about and view of life.

2) My etude in the “life extension pod” resonates with me because it’s a physical embodiment of the inside/outside motif I was talking about on Sunday and it also gives the audience an active role of discovery, hopefully discovering something about themselves through investigation of another person. Sy’s archeological installation struck me for a similar reason. The audience’s internal process was provoked not by direct questions, but by interaction and discovery. That said, Jonathan’s etude has really stayed with be precisely because of its directness. I can’t remember the exact questions, but the feeling of being forced to answer a complex question with only “yes” or “no” is something I won’t forget – in a good way! It was uncomfortable, yes, and we should be careful, but being given the opportunity to engage those deep questions (with no “out”) is rare.


3) Intimate, surprising, a little uncomfortable, not for everyone, heady, active, physical, lingering.

No comments: